School Group Sessions
Standup Surfing offers customised programs for school groups which can take in a variety of activities that are based around the ocean including;
- Standup Paddling – Paddling on the Ocean or the River with up to 15 students at one time with 3 instructors.
- Beach yoga – Yoga on the beach with qualified local instructors with up to 15 students.
- SUP yoga – SUP yoga with up to 10 participants at one time.
- Cultural experiences – Cultural walking experience with an experienced guide.
- Art activity – A coastal painting experience with Elizabeth Whiteman a talented local artist.
- Beach activities including beach flags and beach waterpolo.
These activities can be customised into a program that runs over a single day or over several days to fit in with the school camp programs and can accommodate up to 60+ students.
The business is registered as an Academy of Surfing Instructors (ASI) Standup Paddle school. https://www.academyofsurfing.com/stand-up-paddle
ASI is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and the world’s leading SUP paddle education and training organisation.
- All instructors are ASI accredited holding first aid qualifications and trained to a surf lifesaving lifeguard level.
- All instructors hold the Working with Children qualification.
- Standup paddle activities are at Gnarabup Beach which is a safe location for learning to standup paddle. Alternative flat-water sites are available should weather be inclement.
- Student to instructor ratios of 6-8 students per instructor are maintained to ensure high levels of instruction and safety.
- COVID protective protocols have been implemented over the business operation.
- Professional Indemnity of $20 million insurance is maintained by the business.
- We take responsibility for students the moment they step off the bus. Instructors ensure the safety of students at all times, in accordance with the ASI worldwide standards for surf school operations.
Ocean Based Activities
Beach Art Workshop – Semi-Abstract Seascape with Elizabeth Whiteman
The 2-hour session takes place on the beach, facing the ocean. Elizabeth will teach you something that she has long been fascinated with – how we can create a sense of distance on a flat surface simply with horizontal lines of different thicknesses and colours.
You do not require any drawing skills, nor even the ability to draw a very straight line!
Anyone can do this. It’s all about lines and colour and following a few simple principles. She will supply all the materials you need. She will take you through firstly observing the ocean and seeing how the colours change to create a foreground, middle ground, horizon and sky.
Then you can play with colours and texture and practice creating your own colours from a limited palette through a few studies on paper.
Once you are happy with your colours and have a feel for any effects you like, you can start your original semi-abstract seascape to take home.
If you have time and the inclination, you can add other details such as rocks, clouds, waves etc.
Beach and SUP Yoga with Astrid Lillend
Astrid is a passionate Standup paddle boarder and Yoga Instructor. She loves sharing her passion for Standup paddling and Yoga. Astrid loves to teach people and help people to become fitter, have more fun, become more adventurous and have a happier lifestyle.
Through Standup paddling, Astrid has found herself happier, more confident, and full of life.
Sculpture and Cultural Tour with Kashmir Rouw
Kashmir has an in-depth knowledge of the local area. This covers many aspects including local flora and fauna as well as historical knowledge of the area. As a stonemason his sculptures reflect his journey growing up in the Margaret River region.
His work ranges from large iconic public arts sculptures, photography, painting and fabric design. His sculptures grace the coastline from Gnarabup to Mainbreak and are scattered around the Margaret River region including the Skate Park, Karate Club and the Education Campus.